New to IM

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Wed Oct 7 15:17:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 14:57, Steve Wolfe <wolfecpa at comcast.net> wrote:
> I have an AIM IM account, and Pidgin works well with the people I’m
> connected to who also use AIM.  If I want to be able to IM someone on Yahoo,
> do I need to also have a Yahoo account?  Or does it matter what service is
> being used?   If can IM with Yahoo users without having to be a registered
> Yahoo user myself, how do I set up their account to be able to see/IM them?

As a general rule, you need to have an account on the network that the
users are on in order to communicate with them.

The exceptions to this rule are that some networks can send messages
to other networks (e.g. MSN users can send messages to Yahoo users and
vice versa).

You can sign up for a yahoo account by using the yahoo website:
http://login.yahoo.com

-D