How to debug a CPU hog?

Zuxy Meng zuxy.meng at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 02:23:44 EDT 2009

Hi all,

My pidgin hogs an entire CPU core (resource manager shows about 50% CPU
usage as mine is a dual core) after several minutes, even after I've
disabled all my accounts and plugins. I'm using pidgin 2.6.3 (the problem
has been there for quite some time so it isn't a regression of the latest
version) under Windows Vista SP1 32-bit.

Can anybody give me a hint as how to debug the problem? How can I find which
function is the culprit? I have a working MinGW gdb installation.

Zuxy