Transfer Logs

Christian Riechers chriechers at aim.com
Mon Sep 7 10:47:21 EDT 2009

On 09/07/2009 04:03 PM, Michael Wolf wrote:

> How do I transfer logs from Windows to Linux?  Where are logs stored on
> Linux?  Note, the FAQ lists the location of configuration data and logs
> for Windows, but not for Linux, except for saying that they are located
> at ~./purple.  It's as if Pidgin software writers/support gurus assume
> Windows users are ignorant of environment variables but if you're on
> Linux you must know the filesystem.  This is a gross mistake, especially
> if the Linux community wants to welcome new users. I don't know the
> Linux file system, and thus I don't know where ~./ refers to.  I tried
> searching for "purple" and ".purple" but could not find a folder
> containing logs.

<snip>

In a Unix environment '~' commonly refers to a users home directory. So
'~' and '/home/<user_id>' means essentially the same, where <user_id> is
your Linux login.
Most likely you see a prompt like this in

If there's a leading dot in the directory name, like '.purple', that
means the directory is hidden. I.e. it is not listed when doing a simple
'ls -l' in a terminal for the home directory.
In order to also list hidden directories, a 'ls -la' will do. There
should be a corresponding configuration option for the file manger to
display hidden items. At least there is one for Nautilus when using Gnome.

Usually all configuration information is stored in a users home
directory. In case of Pidgin it's in '~/.purple'.
Note, '~./purple' is not the same as '~/.purple'.
The Pidgin logs are under '~/.purple/logs'. The log files are just plain
text, so it should be no problem to use them with Linux also.

Just curious, how did you search for '.purple'?
On a shell prompt you can try this:

--
Christian