Pidgin Video 1.0

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Sep 12 05:45:55 EDT 2009

Stu Tomlinson wrote:

> Might I suggest you call this something else, to avoid confusion with
> the Video functionality included in Pidgin itself? maybe Pidgin
> Youtube?

Google would treat that as a trade mark violation: "When creating a
feature or product utilizing the YouTube API, the name of the feature or
product cannot use YouTube in the name of the software or feature"
<http://code.google.com/apis/youtube/branding.html>.  (Also the authors
don't want to restrict themselves to YouTube.)

One other legal issue. I think I would want to take legal advice, or at
least consult the Free Software Foundation, with regard to the use of
the GPL, as its not clear to me that the Flash and YouTube APIs are
sufficiently at arm's length to use the GPL.  In particular, unless it
is legal to implement a library that can substitute for the one that
normally provides that API, and still use the same API (albeit not with
the YouTube service), I would very much doubt that you can use the GPL.

IANAL.  The only advice is to get proper advice.

--
David Woolley