Pop Up Notifications?

Ben Bridts ben at bridts.be
Mon Sep 14 11:16:19 EDT 2009

On 14-09-09 14:50, Michael Wolf wrote:
> I tried Guifications to notify me of new email, but it doesn't function
> as I expected, as I need it to.
>
> Is anyone aware of a plugin that creates a mail notification in a
> separate popup window in Linux that acts exactly as the old GAIM popups
> where you have to close the window, and it has a title (either
> "gaim.exe" or configurable.)

Why don't you try a separate program designed for this task
(specto, a plugin for your mail-reader, cgmail, gnubiff, kbiff,
mail notification, ...). Since you're using Debian 'apt-cache
search mail notification' should give you possibilities enough.

I looked at the Mumbles plugin but cannot
> make any sense of their website to determine the behavior of the plugin,
> much less determine just what their plugin does.
I think it gives IM-notifications using the mumbles daemon. It's
something growl-like [1]. I don't think it's what you're looking for.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growl_%28software%29)

--Ben