Flash Window notification with custom words

Rory Browne rory at rorybrowne.ie
Tue Apr 13 17:58:13 EDT 2010

Hello

I would like Pidgin to flash on the taskbar, when someone on IRC mentions
either my nick, or a word related to my activity or my team.

I've looked through the Message Notifications Plugin, and the Guifications
Plugin.

The Message Notifications Plugin, allows for the window to flash, when
someone mentions my nick, but I can't specify any other words.
The Guifications Plugin allows me to specify a range of words, but it won't
flash on the taskbar.

I even tried writing a perl plugin, but the pidgin_set_urgent() function (
which the message notifications plugin uses ), doesn't seem to have been
exposed to Perl.

I've also looked briefly into using the Command Line Plugin, but I don't
know any dos command to make another window flash, and uncle google doesn't
seem to want to show me one.

Short of editing the C code for either of these two plugins( which would
mean setting up a dev environment on Windows ), does anyone know a way to
make the taskbar flash, when someone says either one of a range of words, or
my nick ( which could always be included in the range of words, or indeed
match a regular expression ( which would consist of a range of words
separated by | ).

Regards
Rory