ECCN Request for Pidgin

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Apr 20 22:58:01 EDT 2010

On 04/20/2010 11:38 AM, US_DellPlus_Export_Compliance at Dell.com wrote:
> Mr. Ethan,
>
> The reason I wrote to the support email address is because our firewalls do not allow me to view the Pidgin websites.  Can you please provide me the relevant information that I need from you for the classification of your product?

Do you know *why* the corporate firewalls block access to pidgin.im?  Is it due
to pidgin.im being a .im domain or a blanket policy that forbids visiting IM
software sites?

To the best of my knowledge, we do not have an ECCN, nor have we ever needed one
before.  Pidgin is open-source software available under the terms of the GNU GPL
version 2 (with the exception of some small portions of AIM, ICQ, and Gadu-Gadu
support which are licensed as GNU LGPL version 2).  This means that anyone is
free to use Pidgin for any purposes legal in their own locality and that Pidgin
may be redistributed freely, with or without modifications, so long as the terms
of the GPLv2 are properly observed.

John