Pidgin 2.7.3 has been released!

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Tue Aug 10 15:51:01 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-10 at 10:28 -0700, Mark Doliner wrote:
> PPA has not been updated.

I'll do that today.

> Should we try to make that a part of the
> release process?

I'm not sure. A large part of the delay in PPA updates is due to my lack
of free time. But another part of it has been by design: I'm trying to
preserve the relationship of the PPA as being a downstream packaging
attempt. So, *package* changes should go: Debian -> Ubuntu -> PPA.

This is for a few reasons: The upstream packagers are likely better at
packaging than me, because they've had a lot more experience. I don't
want to supplant their excellent work with my maybe-not-excellent work
or (appear to) control packaging decisions because of my "privileged"
position as a developer on the upstream project. And even if our work is
of equal quality, I don't want to develop an implicit contract where I
do most of the packaging work, as I have a shortage of free time.

Also, this relationship, and consistency for our mutual users, are why I
keep Ubuntu patches that haven't been accepted upstream (e.g.
libnotify). I only modify the patches as necessary to build or when
we're getting reports of significant breakage from them.

Ideally, I'd only ever be *backporting* the latest Pidgin package from
the latest Ubuntu release into older, but still supported (on the
desktop) Ubuntu releases. Unfortunately**, especially since Pidgin has
been dropped as the default IM client, they're not fast enough at
packaging for this to be feasible, so I do end up packaging new upstream
versions myself.

> Documenting it here
> is a good idea: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ReleaseProcess

Indeed. I'll do that.

Richard

** I'm saying "unfortunately" in the sense that it'd save me work. This
is not to imply that the Ubuntu team has some sort of obligation to
package new versions the day they are released or any such nonsense.