XMPP Stream Header Missing

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Aug 13 11:34:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 8:45 PM, purplenut
<purplenutshell at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I tried to connect to meebo by setting up an xmpp account in pidgin.
> Relevant Settings >> Resource: meebo.org ; Use SSL: Check ; Force old SSL:
> Check ; port: 443 ; connection server: xmpp.meebo.org (or meebo.com)
> But a connection cannot be established. "XMPP Stream Header Missing" it says
> instead.

That's happening because your settings are incorrect--you're actually
connecting to a web server.  Force old SSL should not be checked, port
should be 5222, and connection server should be empty.  The resource
is not is not really used to determine where or how to connect, and so
it does not need to be meebo.org.

And for the time being you'll need to uncheck "Require SSL/TLS" and
check "Allow plaintext auth over unencrypted streams."  This is an
unfortunate situation that will hopefully be fixed soon... For the
time being I recommend not connecting from a network that you don't
trust (i.e. if you're on wireless anywhere).

--Mark