Don't steal my text

Ronald L. Jones rljones at davismiles.com
Fri Aug 13 13:09:28 EDT 2010

I want an IM tool to function as follows (we thought Pidgin might do
that, but after repeated efforts, we haven't figured out how):

1.       I am in an office setting with about 50 users (so we get
multiple IMs from different people throughout the day).

2.       I want to minimize the Buddy List and any prior conversations
(I don't want to always work from a conversation that is already showing
on my screen).

3.       When someone sends me an IM (conversation) I want the
conversation window to pop up on my screen so I see it (flashing in my
tool bar is not enough).

4.       When the conversation window pops up, I do not want it to steal
the text if I am already typing in some other application (I think
that's called "taking focus" when the window pops up)

5.       I want to be able to see the conversation window, but not start
typing in it until I go click on it

For example, if I am typing a document in Word and someone sends me an
IM, I don't want my typing that is supposed to be going into Word to
suddenly start going into the IM window as it pops up.  (The same goes
for typing an email in Outlook or typing in any other application).

Does anyone know how to configure Pidgin to do that?  I know some IM
tools do that, because I have been in two work settings where we used
Microsoft Instant Messenger and Neos, and both of them did that (popped
up the window but didn't take the focus).

Thanks.

Ronald L. Jones
PPL Supervising Attorney

Law Offices of
Davis Miles, PLLC

80 E. Rio Salado Parkway, Suite 401

Tempe, AZ 85281

Tel: (800) 435-5081
Fax: (480) 344-5771

http://www.davismiles.com

The information contained in this e-mail message (including attachments) is privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named therein.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication and any attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please forward this communication to us at info at davismiles.com, and delete it from your system.
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.