Same keyboard shortcut for 3 elements in Add account dialog

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Aug 27 01:57:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Stu Tomlinson <stu at nosnilmot.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 12:30 -0700, Paul Aurich wrote:
>> From gtkaccount.c:
>>   tmp = g_strconcat("_", purple_account_option_get_text(option), NULL);
>>   opt_entry->widget = check = gtk_check_button_new_with_mnemonic(tmp);
>>     g_free(tmp);
>>
>> This strikes me as totally wrong (although if it's possible to 'tab'
>> between entries with the same mnemonic, I guess it's less wrong).  Added
>> in 90c2a6492b85a718acbed863733e736cea512906.
>
> I agree it's "wrong", and I realized that when I committed it, but I
> don't think it's less wrong than having no mnemonic - and it's possible
> to cycle between entries both by pressing 'tab' and by repeatedly
> pressing the mnemonic (which cycles only between those that share the
> mnemonic).
>
> Obviously a more correct fix would be to push the mnemonics down to the
> prpls, but just doing that with '_' indicators would cause problems for
> other UIs/toolkits that don't use the same notation, so...

Does Adium already have to strip out underscores from some of our strings?

I almost feel like the choice of the mnemonic should be automatic, by
GTK.  But I guess having a human decide the mnemonic probably results
in a more natural choice.  Another possible solution is to have a
plaintext string and a mnemonicized string, but that sounds like over
engineering.

--Mark