A How to Question.

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Fri Aug 27 12:26:23 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 21:29 -0400, Dailey Carl V. wrote:
> I wanna be able to block my kids from changing their online status. I
> want to lock it in place to "available" if they are you online, and
> not be able to hide it "away/offline" Is that possible??. Right now
> I'm using pidgin as a lan messenger on our local network.

This seems silly. If they want to be "offline", they could just close
Pidgin, right? And what's the harm in them setting themselves to away?
You can still send them messages, and if they want to ignore your
messages, they can do that regardless of their status.

It sounds like you're trying to solve some problem other than IM, so
Pidgin is the wrong tool for the job. If you really insist on doing
this, the answer to your question as asked is that it'd be "possible" by
writing a plugin that watches for status changes and then immediately
changes the status back to "Available".

Richard