Converting ASCII smilies into files

Humb humbert at starcita.com
Sun Dec 5 23:20:53 EST 2010

Where exactly can I either find a tool or know of a way to convert ASCII
images (e.g., :-/,  8-( and so on) into ico, or png files? I installed the
Facebook plugin which works OK but only the "default" icon themes are
compatible with it. I downloaded Emoji, Back to Basics and Yahoo themes and
neither one will work with Facebook. What I did then was download emoticons
in Facebook in ASCII format which you can just type in rather than having to
choose a smiley (a royal pain in the ass). What I'm trying to do is to
convert those ASCII images from Facebook into icon files so I can proceed to
install them as part of Pidgin. I even went so far as to create a theme
following not only the instructions in the FAQ but copying what the authors
of the themes I downloaded did. The result: Pidgin accepted my theme with no
files in it, and sure enough, there it was in the .purple directory sitting
there by it's lonesome with no directories or icon files anywhere.

Everywhere you look on the search engines show you programs that do the
opposite - they take icon files and convert them into ASCII. I need
something that'll work the other way around. Certainly the authors of the
themes I downloaded had some way to convert their ASCII files into icons. In
my .purple directory all their themes are there, in directories with all
.png, .gif or .ico files and the original theme file they wrote inside the
respective directory.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?