Help with Pidgin Favourites.

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Fri Dec 17 10:54:09 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:19:00AM +0000, Neil Denham wrote:
> Is there some way to have my favourite contacts in a group, without removing them from an existing group?
>
> On the client I can create a group called 'Favourites', but I can't add a contact to this group without removing them from some other group.
>
> Currently my workaround is to set 'Buddies > Sort Buddies > By recent log activity' in the buddy list, and then move the Open Fire group (which contains all contacts) to the top of the group list.

If the protocol in question supports having a buddy in more than one group
(I know XMPP does this, and I believe some others do) then you should
simply be able to add the person to the new group in pidgin a second time
to do this.

Short of that a plugin could be written to create a "fake" Favorites group
with dummy entries for the favorite buddies which aren't actually stored
on the server, etc.

    -Etan