Cant 'remove' gnutls from pidgin ?

Jerome Haynes-Smith jerrycan321 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 08:51:55 EST 2010

Hi All

I use pidgin as it really is the best IM client I have found, but I have
recently encountered a problem when trying to connect to a new internal
(Oracle Beehive) im server.

The problem does not exist in Windows XP running the same version - the
problem seems specific to Linux so far.

The issue is that I have been advised by my support to disable gnutls in
order to connect to the beehive server, but even when I try and compile a
version of pidgin without gnutls, it seems to remain in the binary.

The effect of this is that gnutls seems to try and connect to the IM server
and fails with a SSL Handshake Failure.

Looking at the debug log I see this:

(13:46:25) *proxy:* Connecting to imserver.com:5223.
(13:46:25) *proxy:* Connected to imserver:5223.
(13:46:25) *gnutls:* Starting handshake with imserver.com
(13:46:25) *gnutls:* Handshake failed. Error A TLS fatal alert has been
received.
(13:46:25) *connection:* Connection error on 0x2c2ab90 (reason: 5

The thing is I believe the build info says gnutls is disabled in pidgin -

*Pidgin 2.7.8* (libpurple 2.7.8)
d56f48b98ab8b0022f171597c714dc2580bc88ad

*Build Information*
*Arguments to ./configure:* '--enable-gnutls=no'
*Print debugging messages:* No
*Plugins:* Enabled
*SSL:* SSL support is present.

*Library Support*
*Cyrus SASL:* Disabled
*D-Bus:* Enabled
*Evolution Addressbook:* Disabled
*Gadu-Gadu library (libgadu):* Enabled
*GtkSpell:* Enabled
*GnuTLS:* Disabled
*GStreamer:* Enabled
*Mono:* Disabled
*NetworkManager:* Enabled
*Network Security Services (NSS):* Enabled
*Perl:* Enabled
*Startup Notification:* Enabled
*Tcl:* Enabled
*Tk:* Enabled
*UTF-8 DNS (IDN):* Enabled
*Voice and Video:* Enabled
*X Session Management:* Enabled
*XScreenSaver:* Enabled
*Zephyr library (libzephyr):* Internal
*Zephyr uses Kerberos:* No

How can I really remove gnutls from my build of pidgin?

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to further diagnose this?

Regards
Jerome