Gtalk login problem

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Fri Dec 31 21:52:39 EST 2010

And Nick W spoke on 12/31/2010 08:30 AM, saying:
> Ok all, you're loosing me as you're talking about DNS and SRV and SOHO
> which I have never been able to get my head round.
> I've eventually found
> http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073&&hl=en_GB;topic=1415
> <http://www.google.com/support/talk/bin/answer.py?answer=24073&&hl=en_GB;topic=1415>
> and set it to that which doesn't help either.
>
> I am giving up.
> All I want really is a single app that allows me to use all the IMs in one
> box so that I've not got all those different apps running at the same time
> slowing my machine down...
> I would like it to be that all I have to do is put my user name and
> password in and it works.
>
> Unfortunately Pidgin doesn't do that on Gtalk though it does on Yahoo and
> MSN... I don't have other chats...

You set the domain to *gmail.com* (since your email address is
"foo at gmail.com", not "foo at talk.google.com"), and you set the *Connect
Server* to "talk.google.com", as the very next entry in our FAQ
(http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Protocol%20Specific%20Questions#HowdoIconfigurePidgintoconnecttoGoogleTalkformydomainhostedonGoogleApps)
suggests.

I misspoke when I said "SOHO".  I meant your home router, which is buggy
and doesn't handle a specific type of DNS lookup often necessary for XMPP.