Complaints

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Feb 2 02:42:16 EST 2010

Michelle wrote:

> Where do I complain about the help I am getting?

Your employer.

> Why is there a support team if they can not getting what you want & when

There isn't a support team.  There is no income to pay a support team.
Like many open source projects, support at pidgin.im goes to a public
mailing list that is answered by anyone who is interested, in their
spare time.  Even big, for profit, companies do this for their free of
charge products.  For example, if you have a problem with Adobe Acrobat
Reader, you will have to use a forum where it is unlikely that anyone
from Adobe will answer, or even read the forum.

Looking back at your recently answered question, you were demanding
immediate responses from people who are doing this work voluntarily.
Many of them probably saw that as "attitude".

As was said, before, if your employer insists that you use a piece of
software, it should be their responsibility to provide first line
support.  In choosing the software, they should have been aware of its
nature and the likely level of support.

 From previous questions, I'm aware of one company that uses home
workers to take telephone dictation, and which appears to have dictated
the use of Pidgin, without supporting it, and without even telling their
workers enough technical information to allow them to seek support
directly, in any sensible way.  I wonder if that is the case here.

If you ask sensible questions, and allow reasonable time to answer, you
will actually get much better information than from a commercial help
desk, because they people answering will actually understand the
answers, rather than just reading from a script.

--
David Woolley