How exactly does the Pigin "invisible" status work?

Sascha sascha at pasalacqua.de
Mon Feb 8 15:25:22 EST 2010

Hi,

I've been using Pidgin for quite sime time now. But there's one thing I
don't get: How does the "invisible" status work?

That's what I want to do (ICQ):

By changing my status to "invisible" I want to appear offline to everyone
(just like it works in any other messenger). But in Pidgin I appear
invisible instead - not offline. So every friend of mine can see me
"invisible" instead of offline.

==> How can I _easily_ switch my status to appear offline to everyone?

I know there is this privacy setting thing in the menu. But.

1) it's kind of annoying to click through menus to change your status to
"offline (invisible)"

2) blocking users does not only make you appear offline, it also blocks all
messages from those users! That's not what I want. I still want to receive
messages.

3) you can't change the privacy settings until you're connected - which is
too late :)

So does anyone know how to easily change my status to _true_ invisible mode?

Thanks

Sascha