Question about IRC accounts

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Fri Feb 12 10:47:31 EST 2010

Phil Adams spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'm using pidgin v 2.6.5-1.fc12 on a Linux (Fedora 12, 64-bit) system.
>
> For a specific IRC account, I find myself needing to execute a "/nick
> <username>" command every time I join an IRC channel associated with a
> specific account.   This is because I would like my visible username
> in the IRC channel window to be something different (shorter) than the
> userid I used to log into the IRC server.    Is there some way that I
> can configure either my IRC account or perhaps the IRC channel (it's
> defined in my buddy list) so that the desired username is set each
> time I join the IRC channel without having to execute the "/nick"
> command?

This doesn't do what you think it does.  You are changing the nickname
that *other* people see for you, as well as what you see for yourself.

It sounds to me like you want to see something shorter on your own
screen, presumably because you already know who you are.  To
accomplish this, set an alias in the account preferences for your IRC
account (Open the accounts dialog, select your IRC account, and press
'Modify'.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.