Authentication Failure --> Re-Enable

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Fri Feb 12 22:40:58 EST 2010

Hey there, I'm noticing an odd behavior with pidgin under ubuntu linux
(whatever version just happens to come with Karmic via apt).  In this case
it's Pidgin 2.6.2
(libpurple 2.6.2)
95470d310d5d3a229c0b9fc4232da9bfeafaeb5b

As we all know, and as is an FAQ, pidgin leaves your password laying
around in cleartext.  I currently don't have my password to the company
jabber saved.  Instead, I have to type it at login.  I'm fine with this.

As it's a good, complex password, I occasionally mistype it.

I then get a note at the bottom of my buddy list:

dmahoney at foo.company.com disabled
Authentication failure
[Modify Account][Re-Enable]

Clicking re-enable simply tries the same password you've put in, again.
It does not re-prompt you.  Presumably the only use for the "re-enable
button" is if there's something that was broken on the server but is now
fixed, or if pidgin has cached a password that you're *about* to change
your password to.  (It's also useful with AIM as this is the error AIM
hands you when you use the "disconnect all but the current connection"
option).

Once you're here, your only option is to "Modify" the account, and save it
(still with no password).  Once you do that it dismisses the alert at the
bottom of your buddy list, so you must THEN go back into
accounts-->accountname-->enable and put in your password.

An important note here is even if you put a password in, and click save,
you have to go to the accounts menu, enable, and type your password again.
It seems more logical that putting in a password would save it for THAT
session, but not in the config file, but this does not appear to be the
case.

Would it not make more sense, on an auth fail, to have the system DELETE
the in-memory password (if it's not saved on disk), so you'll simply be
re-prompted?

Would it also not make sense that if I'm editing an account that was ONLY
disabled for an auth fail, that as soon as I click save, it's re-enabled
without having to manually do so?

Is there already a bug open on this issue?  I get this on two different
machines, and it seems REALLY bad ui design.

-Dan Mahoney

--

"One...plus two...plus one...plus one."

-Tim Curry, Clue