Facebook XMPP with Pidgin

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Sun Feb 28 20:40:00 EST 2010

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:39:44 -0600, Mike Thompson <zryder94 at gmail.com>
was claimed to have wrote:

>When I set up Pidgin to use Facebook's XMPP chat, pidgin always asks for
>plaintext authentication, saying it requires this over an unencrypted
>connection. if I click no, it will ask again. if I click yes, I get an
>error at the bottom of pidgin saying disconnected 503, service unavailable.
>can someone please assist me in setting up pidgin to use facebook chat?

   1.
          * Go to "Accounts" and select "Manage Accounts."
   2.
          * On the Basic tab, enter the following info:
          * Protocol: XMPP
          * Username: <your username>
          * Domain: chat.facebook.com
          * Resource: Pidgin
          * Password: <your Facebook password>
   3.
          * Click the Advanced tab, then enter the following info:
          * Connect port: 5222
          * Connect server: chat.facebook.com
          * (Uncheck the box labeled "Require SSL/TLS")

Or, go to http://www.facebook.com/sitetour/chat.php when you're logged
in to Facebook and Facebook will give you the same info with the
appropriate username (note that this is not an email address)