your program doesn't work with qq.

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Jan 22 03:13:15 EST 2010

Preppy Jock wrote:
> i just downloaded the lastest 2.6.5
>
> i got the following chinese from qq. it basically tells me that my
> version has stopped working, i should go to that site, and download
> the latest version.

Do you know where one can obtain a specification for their new protocol?
 Open source implementation can only be updated if an interested
developer knows a change is happening and knows the details of the
change.  I don't know about QQ, but some IM services don't publish their
protocol and some (e.g. MSN) officially discourage the use of clients
that they don't provide.

A quick web search suggests that the protocol specification has never
been published and had to be reverse engineered. If that's the case, and
the change is not obvious, it may take some time to re-instate support.

I note that there have been some suggestions that the official client is
adware.  If Pidgin doesn't display the adverts, they may have added code
to detect Pidgin, to protect their advertising revenue.

--
David Woolley