Pidgin 2.7.2 released!

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Mon Jul 26 12:08:52 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:00, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino <jfs at debian.org> wrote:
> On 26 July 2010 17:23, David Balažic <david.balazic at comtrade.com> wrote:
>> Also having to set env variables to make a selection is...
>> C'mon, it is 2010!
>
> Pidgin in Windows currently relies on a registry key which is:
>
> a) set by the installer
> b) difficult to change (you need to knwo the NSIS codes and language associated)

This isn't entirely accurate, see
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Using%20Pidgin#HowdoesPidginforWindowsdeterminewhichlanguagetouse

> As far a I know there's no need to use environment variables. That is
> not what I was suggesting. Windows provides information of user's
> chosen locale and selected language in his environment. Currently, as
> far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, this is:

> a) not used by the installer to automatically select and install the
> proper localization

I believe that this is incorrect; NSIS will choose the current locale
by default if it is available.
Also, the Pidgin translation for the selected installer language
(however it is selected) will be installed by default.

> b) not used by Pidgin in Windows to select one of the available
> localizations at %ProgramFiles%\Pidgin\locale\

This is also not exactly correct; it is the default behavior of Pidgin
to use the system locale if there is no overridden selection (e.g. by
the user's language selection in the installer or via the PIDGINLANG
environment variable).

> It is, however, used by the installer to automatically select the
> language shown through the installation process. So I guess a) could
> be easily fixed, isn't it so?
>
> Time to report these as a bug in trac, or have they been reported already?

I don't think it is that simple, please see the FAQ about how it works
and think about why changing that might be (even more) confusing to
people.

I still maintain that the "real" problem is that the desired language
doesn't appear in the initial installer list - if it did, nobody would
complain about anything else because everything would work as they
expect it to.

-D