Why all of the upgrades

Evan Platt evan at espphotography.com
Wed Jun 2 16:52:08 EDT 2010

On 06/02/2010 01:46 PM, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> The bottom line is that Pidgin will quite possibly *never* go six
> months or more without release.  You should be VERY suspicious of any
> network client which claims it will be -- if nothing else, that means
> that the authors of the client are unconcerned about possible security
> vulnerabilities.  In the case of Pidgin, we add features and
> functionality, and fix bugs, more rapidly than that.

And, but I don't think this is as much an issue now as it was a few
years back, the 'owner' of the IM service (ie Yahoo, AOL, etc) kept
trying to 'lock out' third party apps from being able to communicate
using their servers. I remember almost a weekly 'forced' update simply
because say Yahoo essentially locked out version say 1.2 by implementing
a small change, forcing the developers of the third party IM to figure
out what the change is to then patch their program.

Not sure if this happens as much now as it did 'back in the day'.