Why all of the upgrades

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Thu Jun 3 04:57:48 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 13:31:17 -0700 (PDT)
"Joelle Crepsac" <jcrepsac at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I don't consider that SO MANY revisions "active development"...

You don't? I consider it very active and indeed exactly what's needed
in software that has to essentially be reverse engineered to work with
proprietary IM networks where the owner of the service often wants to
prevent 3rd party programs from accessing their servers.

> I thought that I could actually get useful answer here; something
> that I could share with the 150 people I suggested this program to;
> something they could understand and relate to, and assist in creating
> some kind of trust and security in changing from their former instant
> messaging program.

I would have thought that explaining to them that Pidgin is updated
specifically to enhance their security and maintain compatibility would
engender their trust, there is nothing I hate more than knowing that my
software is inadequate for the tasks I need it to fulfil, I would
expect anyone to understand how this approach benefits them.

Remember, Pidgin is free for your use and its developers are committed
to their product. All they ask is that you understand their motivation
and trade a little inconvenience for the benefits that updates and bug
fixes bring.

--

Brian