Hello, why i see this popup window in pidgin???

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sat Mar 6 06:27:41 EST 2010

Alex wrote:
> Can you explain me ? And yesterday i saw same window only with Positive
> Smile without any text message.
>
> image url:
> http://www.sendspace.com/file/nkccea

The message actually has a frowning face icon and says:

No such nick or channel
irc1.smashthestack.org

Why do you believe that the server should know about the resource you
are referencing?

Without further information, this looks like user error or a problem
with the IRC server that you are using.

The technical cause of this message is that the server returned a 401 or
406 response.

 From http://irchelp.org/irchelp/rfc/chapter6.html#c6_1

401
     ERR_NOSUCHNICK
     "<nickname> :No such nick/channel"
     - Used to indicate the nickname parameter supplied to a command
       is currently unused.

406
     ERR_WASNOSUCHNICK
     "<nickname> :There was no such nickname"
     - Returned by WHOWAS to indicate there is no history information
       for that nickname.

Assuming pidgin is substituting the correct information into the
message, and the server is providing it correctly, my guess would be
that you have entered a server address when you should have entered a
nickname.

The pidgin debug log may tell you which command failed, if it was a 401
response.

PS Please do not try to force replies off the mailing list (you had a
Reply-To header set).

--
David Woolley