Lack of notification when a contact signs off

Sean Parmelee sean.parmelee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 16:41:29 EDT 2010

I find it incredibly frustrating that when I have been talking to
someone over AIM in pidgin, and that person signs off (expectedly or
otherwise), I receive no notification whatsoever. Nothing appears in the
person's chat window, and worse, I can still send IMs freely just as if
the person were still online. Why on earth is this what pidgin does? I
have used other chat clients and all of them have provided me with
notifications about changes to contacts' status.