Lack of notification when a contact signs off

Paul Aurich darkrain42 at pidgin.im
Tue Mar 16 17:08:45 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-16 13:48, Evan Platt wrote:
> Tools, Plugins, enable the "Buddy State Notification",

Yes.  You may need to configure it to enable (on|off)line notifications;
I don't remember what its default is.

> and perhaps
> uncheck Offline Message Emulation (this should then tell you the user is
> offline if you try to send a message anyway).

That won't have an effect for AIM, for which Pidgin has supported
offline messages since 2.4.0 (two years ago).  That your chat partner
cannot see them speaks to either a server issue or a bug in the remote
client (retrieval was broken in Pidgin 2.6.3, but fixed in 2.6.4, for
instance).

> On 3/16/2010 1:41 PM, Sean Parmelee wrote:
>> I find it incredibly frustrating that when I have been talking to
>> someone over AIM in pidgin, and that person signs off (expectedly or
>> otherwise), I receive no notification whatsoever. Nothing appears in the
>> person's chat window, and worse, I can still send IMs freely just as if
>> the person were still online. Why on earth is this what pidgin does? I
>> have used other chat clients and all of them have provided me with
>> notifications about changes to contacts' status.

~Paul