Stop these emails

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Fri May 14 12:32:56 EDT 2010

On 05/14/2010 06:41 AM, David Balazic wrote:
> Brian Morrison wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 May 2010 13:32:38 +0200
>> "David Balazic" <David.Balazic at hermes-softlab.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just for info, not every mail received from the list has those
>>> lines at the bottom.
>>> After a very quick look, it seems this is the case with
>> first messages
>>> in a thread (as opposed to replies).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> David

>> This is a reply to your reply, as you can see, the unsub info is there
>> below your text....
>
> Yes it is. It is there on replies.
> It is missing on about 80% of non-replies (checked last 10 non-replies).

If the list receives an HTML formatted message (or anything else besides
a plain text message), mailman attaches the text of footer as a separate
MIME part.  My email client appends additional viewable parts (text,
images) after the main message, so I always see it at the end of every
message.  You should at least see an attachment, unless your email
client doesn't know how to parse messages.

The reason you see it with higher frequency on non-replies is that
vastly more end users send HTML messages than do the people providing
help to them.

Kevin