People don't read the mail list

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue May 18 09:21:38 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:26:30AM +0200, David Balazic wrote:
<snip>
> This could be put on one (or more) of the following places:
>  - home page (it already has a similar purpose line or two, currently saying:
> Pidgin 2.7.0 is out with fixes for AIM, ICQ, and Yahoo! JAPAN login and a bunch of new features! )

People don't read the home page before asking most of the time.

>  - About window of pidgin, before the mail list address, somewhere around "Helpful Resources"

How do you propose we put the issues for a given release in the About
dialog for that release? Time travel? =)

>  - same as above, but just a button or link , titled like "(Current) Known issues (- read this first)"
>    linking to a page listing the few most common problems with the current version (or the version
>    the user is actually running, even if just suggesting an upgrade to latest)

Keeping a short page of known issues for the current release in the wiki
and linking to it from the About dialog (possibly even just the Help menu
directly) is not a bad idea at all and would be useful for both mailing
list posts and filed tickets.

I don't think we need anything like running version detection though as
long as the "Current" version page has visible links to the pages for the
last handful or so versions.

<snip>
> Regards,
> David Balažic
> Software Engineer

I actually wonder how many of the people asking repeat questions have just
signed up for the list for the first time and/or haven't signed up for the
list at all.

    -Etan