Pasting into others messages (IRC)

David Balazic David.Balazic at hermes-softlab.com
Thu May 27 07:39:33 EDT 2010

Hi!

Pidgin 2.7.0 on WinXP

A really bizzare bug:

In an IRC converation (channel) click a link someone posted, then press ctrl-v (the clipboard
has another URL, copied from Firefox).

Expected result:
cliboard content is pasted into the typing area

Actual result:
clipboard content is pasted into the other persons message in the top part of screen

"illustration":

joe said : hey, look at http://some.server.com/what/ever ... it is cool

I have in clipboard : www.google.com

I click on joe link in pidgin chat window.
(the link is opened in my system default browser, which is Firefox).

Still in Pidgin, I press the keys ctrl-V.

joes message changes to:

hey, look at http://some.serwww.google.comver.com/what/ever ... it is cool

I can reproduce it:
 - copy some url (into clipboard)
 - clink a link in IRC chat
 - after it opens in firefox, use alt-tab to get back to pidgin
 - press ctrl-v

The text is inserted at the point where I clicked thelink url.
The clipboard content can be also regular text.

Regards,
David Balažic
Software Engineer

HERMES SoftLab