Pidgin Update Notifier

Francois Botha igitur at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 05:56:31 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm behind a corporate proxy that blocks anything on pidgin.im. When a
page is blocked, a static .html page is returned indicating the URL
and reason that it's blocked.

The pidgin update notifier periodically checks a URL and if any HTML
is received, it assumes an update is available. Hence I get a lot of
fake notifications that an update is available.

My suggestion is that the update notifier should check the validity of
the returned HTML before notifying the user of a possible update.

I know this affects only a very small number of people though.

thanks,
Francois Botha
Make an informed choice: http://www.whatbrowser.org