SSL Handshake: A record packet with illegal version was received

Sheriff Hobbes SheriffHobbes at arcor.de
Sun Nov 7 10:00:44 EST 2010

Hi all,

since a week or so I'm not able to securely login to ICQ any longer with
one of my accounts. Only if I disable "Use SLL" in the advanced
settings, it works. With SSL I get the error message "Unable to connect
to BOS server: SSL Handshake Failed". In the debug window the reason for
the failure is "A record packet with illegal version was received".

If I enable the setting "Use clientLogin", I get a different error:
"Received invalid data on connection with server". I get this error for
all of my ICQ accounts if I enable this, but the other ones work just
fine using only "Use SLL". I can login to the ICQ website with the "bad"
account too, the settings are exactly the same for all 3 accounts.

I was using Pidgin 2.7.3 when this happened first, upgraded to 2.7.5,
but no change. I'm running RHEL 5.5 x86_64.
I've attached the Pidgin debug messages for the "bad" case of the not
working account and for the "good" case of one of the working accounts.

I've tried a lot of things, like deleting the account and adding it
again. I deleted the cached certificates. I changed the password on the
ICQ website. Nothing helped, I don't know what else I could do.

Thanks,
SH