Oven Fresh: Please consider adding this new email service in pidgin soon

V S Rawat vsrawat at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 12:24:20 EST 2010

Oven Fresh news item below.

I am not sure if fb is offering an standalone chat software, but
pidgin has "email checkup" option also that comes very handy in
knowing how many emails are there in which of my many accounts so that
I could go and check only those accounts.

Can we expect that you might consider adding this new email service in
pidgin, even if it is just for checking emails there.

Thanks
Rawat
--
Facebook likely to launch email service tomorrow
Seema Hakhu Kachru

Houston, Nov 14 (PTI) Social networking site Facebook is likely to
offer e-mail services to its 500 million users from tomorrow to
compete with gmail and yahoomail, making it the largest such service
provider on the planet.

TechCrunch, a leading Silicon Valley technology blog, has reported
that the social network plans to announce a Web-based email service
complete with @facebook.com addresses at an event in San Francisco
tomorrow.

the blog said Facebook's planned email service is part of a secret
project known as "Project Titan" that is "unofficially referred to
internally as its 'Gmail killer.'"

Yahoo, Google and Microsoft are already scrambling to retool their
e-mail services to build them more around people's social connections.

Facebook would have a tremendous advantage because it owns a vast
trove of data about people's relationships and would find it easier to
graft e-mail onto its existing social services such as photo-sharing.