PLEASE RESPOND: Pigeon Sound doesnt work!!

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Tue Nov 16 17:43:44 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 17:31, Karen Luce <karen.luce at oracle.com> wrote:

> I have an issue with Pigeon.  I have everything checked to play sound when I receive an IM and it doesn’t sound at all.  What makes it more frustrating is I do get random sounds during a conversation but not consistent.
>

> I have moved the sound files to the Pigeon sound folder for easier retrieval but it keeps defaulting back to “default” every time you go back to sound preferences.
>

> I have pulled it from the windows/media folder and it will work for a minute then goes silent.
>

> I have enable sound checked to ALWAYS.
>
> I have the message received application highlighted and I chose the sound wav tada.
>
> I have the message sent highlighted and chose notify for the sound.
>

> The first ping I get from someone is completely silent.  Then I hear the remaining conversation pings.  Why does Pigeon have a selection to only hear AFTER the conversation starts. The most important IM is the very first one so you know someone is trying to reach you?  I have checked the box under Mute where it states upon active conversation or something like that.  I have unchecked it. I have tried every option I can think of and my sounds don’t stay, they are not consistent and most of the time are completely not working.
>

> I have un-installed, reinstalled and went out to get the latest release from your site.  Still nothing.
>
> Please get back to me how to get these sounds working.
>

> I have never had a problem with AOL IM at all with sound.

It sounds like the reason you're not getting a sound when a message
begins a conversation is simply that you don't have the "Message
received begins conversation" sound event checked.

To ensure that the sounds are played in all possible situations, you
will also want to do the following:
  * check the "Sounds when conversation has focus" checkbox
  * set "Enable sounds" to "Always"

(I mention the above, because it sounds like you've been randomly
changing stuff without understanding what you're changing.)

Please direct any replies to this mailing list and not to me directly.

-D