Pidgin Error - Validate Certificate Error: SOLUTION

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Thu Nov 18 10:09:35 EST 2010

B Linky spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >> The certificate for omega.msn.com could not be validated, The
> > > certificate chain presented is invalid.
>
> .. trying to connect to MSN today, see the following page for the solution:
>
>  http://blog.andreineculau.com/2010/11/pidgin-and-msn-certificate-error-for-omega-contacts-msn-com/
>
> I've no idea why noone from pidgin has thought to post to this list
> about it - I had to go on their irc channel to find out, where people
> were coming on all the time asking. You'd have thought they'd have
> been fed up answering the same thing all the time.

No one has posted this because it involves force-feeding Pidgin a
certificate from a third party of unknown validity.  It works, but
unless you understand what you're doing, you could be fed a bogus
certificate which enables man-in-the-middle attacks.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.