Pidgin 2.7.3 on Maemo5 - SSL certificates for MSN invalid

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Sun Nov 21 11:45:34 EST 2010

Etan Reisner wrote:

> To answer this again: http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/MSNCertIssue

As this is telling people to do something potentially dangerous, I think
it should also tell them to check that the issuer and subject on each
certificate is different, i.e. that they are not being fed a potentially
bogus root certificate.

It may be safe to fetch the intermediate certificates from an untrusted
source, but only if they really are only intermediate ones.  At least I
think that is true, but it is possible that openssl will stop when it
finds a locally trusted intermediate certificate, in which case they
need to verify the certificate chain before installing them.

I know that some browsers will accept a locally trusted leaf
certificate, even though they don't trust the corresponding root.

--
David Woolley