Pidgin 2.7.3 on Maemo5 - SSL certificates for MSN invalid

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Nov 22 04:35:36 EST 2010

El día Sunday, November 21, 2010 a las 12:09:39PM -0500, Etan Reisner escribió:

> People don't understand certificates. At all. Which is why they were
> perfectly willing to download certificates for the omega server from any
> blog/host that happened to have them up. That page is hosted on the
> pidgin.im server, the pem files come from the pidgin source, those exact
> files will be in the next release of pidgin which people will implicitly
> trust when they upgrade, etc.
>
> Any text talking about verifying things is going to complicate and confuse
> the situation more than I think it could possibly help though I do
> appreciate the thinking that goes into requesting it.
>
> I'm open to adding a note to the bottom explaining the potential dangers
> with doing this sort of thing but anything more than that I think would be
> too much.

I've right now compiled 2.7.6 on FreeBSD 8.x. It has two issues:

1)
the MSN certificate issue; the certificate is not validated after the
start of pidgin; it takes a while and it seems that if pidgin contacts
some of the *.contacts server it works, while it does not for others;
I could run it with --debug to get a list of the IP addrs...

2)
to get NLS support (for example a Spanish GUI) I must run the
./configure as:

$ CFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include' CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include' ./configure --disable-nm --disable-tc

and enable '#define ENABLE_NLS 1' in config.h by hand; this was already
the case with 2.6.2 and easy to solve, because I saved the old mail :-)

Thanks for your work in any case

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211