Unable to add GMAIL buddies in Pidgin 2.7.7

Etan Reisner deryni at pidgin.im
Tue Nov 30 08:11:57 EST 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 07:49:49AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:
> Etan Reisner wrote:
<snip>
>> You cannot add random email addresses to your Yahoo (or MSN, etc.)
>> accounts.
>
> I think what you mean is that you cannot chat to someone logged into
> Google's instant messaging when you are only logged into, say, MSN's.
> However I would expect MSN to allow you to register as an MSN user,
> using an @gmail email address. It certainly allowed me to register
> using my company domain name address. You would only receive chats from
> MSN and their peers, even though you used an @gmail address.

I meant what I said, you cannot add *random* email addresses to your Yahoo
or MSN account's buddy lists.

The fact that MSN (and Google Talk/Apps but we won't talk about how they
mangle that into existence) allow you to register non-default @domain IDs
on their networks is an entirely unrelated thing. This is a decision that,
as can clearly be seen, leads to significant confusion in the MSN and
Yahoo worlds (where it doesn't Just Work) and less but still non-zero
amounts of confusion in the Google Talk/Apps world (where it it supposed
to Just Work but doesn't often because of how Google Talk/Apps handles
things).

    -Etan