Question Pidgin

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Oct 5 22:10:06 EDT 2010

On 10/05/2010 01:15 PM, Rodrigo Cansigno Gutiérrez wrote:

> Hi, I have one question about Pidgin. I'm a university student and I'm
> working in my final engineering proyect, which one part is about the
> comunication between 2-3-4-... PC's, can I use Pidgin to communicate the
> PC's? The PC's don't have access to Internet, they are communicated by
> Ethernet. I have to use an IM, so in this way the students and the
> professor can write between each other.
>
> Thank you. Rgds.
>
> /*rodrix*/

The short answer is yes.

The long answer depends on whether you require serverless messaging
capabilities.  If you require serverless, Pidgin supports Bonjour for link-local
messaging. If server-based is an option, there is also the XMPP protocol which
has a number of free server software packages available.  In this context, XMPP
requires that server software run somewhere.

John