installer usability problem

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Sat Apr 16 10:41:39 EDT 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 05:28, Behringer Behringer
<behringerdj at yahoo.com> wrote:
> You have a serious problem that may hold back users from using pidgin.
> The default windows installer does not come with GTK, you have to get the offline installer to get the GTK dll's.

This isn't actually correct.

The default installer does not itself contain the GTK+ Runtime - that
is correct, but it does attempt to download and install the
appropriate GTK+ Runtime version if it needs to, which works for the
vast majority of people.

You don't need to use the "offline" installer unless you're either
trying to install while offline or are have a (relatively unusual)
network configuration where the NSIS installer download functionality
is unable to download the GTK+ runtime when it isn't present.  In this
case a message describing the problem is displayed along with a URL
from which the offline installer can be downloaded.

If for some reason, the above isn't happening, then it is indeed a
problem, but I just tested it and it appears to work fine.

-D