Cisco XMPP

Sascha Vogt FunkyFish at gmx.net
Tue Aug 9 07:39:18 EDT 2011

Hi Roy,

Am 08.08.2011 16:06, schrieb Roy Kidder:
> I've looked back over the last year's worth of threads and didn't have any
> luck on this.
>
> Has anyone gotten pidgin to work with Cisco's XMPP (UCS) product? No
> matter what encryption method I use, I get an "SSL Handshake Failed"
> error. A tcpdump clearly shows a TCP setup, what appears to be an attempt
> at a TLS handshake, and then the TCP disconnect.
>
> I'm have two other XMPP accounts (Google and a private Jabber server)
> configured and working properly.
>
> I'm using Pidgin 2.9.0, compiled from source with libgnutls-dev
> 2.8.6-1ubuntu2 on Ubuntu 11.04.

I would search in the direction of hostname and CN name in the SSL cert
not matching, SRV-records for the XMPP server which is used, and stuff
like that. Is a self-signed certificate involved? I think I remember
some discussions on the list which revolved around issues /
misconfiguraiton within the above topic range.

Maybe a short example could clarify a problematic example, IIRC (maybe
someone involved in that discussions could correct me)
- jid "format" is user at domain1.local
- SRV record for XMPP on domain1.local maps to domain2.local (which
would be the server handling the XMPP stuff)
- SSL cert CN name: one of the above worked and one failed. Don't
remember which way (if CN needed to be domain1.local or domain2.local to
work)

Greetings
-Sascha-