Disabling IM Services in Corp Environment

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Aug 12 17:49:07 EDT 2011

Brian Grigg wrote:

> Hopefully you’ll be more responsive than Trillian. I’m looking to
> implement a Jabber server at a couple clients.  But I want to know can
> certain IM services be disabled (like Facebook) in the client via
> registry or some other means?  Also, is it deployable via an MSI file or
> just .exe?

This is a peer support mailing list, not some Pidgin head office department.

Whilst one could obviously remove the plugins for the protocols you
don't use, the right way of blocking is by using a firewall, including
URL blocking on port 80.  I believe Jabber is XMPP and the preferred
method of accessing Facebook from Pidgin is XMPP, so removing the plugin
won't work for Facebook

There is nothing to stop your creating an MSI installer.

--
David Woolley