kakao talk

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Aug 22 17:38:52 EDT 2011

Cavan wrote:

> could you please help me, i was wondering if you can get kakao talk for
> pidgin. i read on a web site that you can but i have no idea how to go
> about it. if you could help it would me great. Thanks

The only references I can find with both Pidgin and KakaoTalk seem to be
about Pidgin being an alternative IM client, not an alternative
KakaoTalk client.  Some of those seem to confuse clients and services.

I cannot find any indication that there is a published, or even reverse
engineered, protocol specification for KakaoTalk, nor any to Windows
libraries to access it (although those would probably not be supported
in the official Pidgin, even if they did exist).

I'm not sure that I understand the KakaoTalk business model.  It seems
to have to do with selling Korean Telecom Gift cards.  Without knowing
more I don't know whether an an alternative client could undermine the
business model.

I get the impression that KakaoTalk is to Korea as MXit is to South
Africa, but it may turn out that that similarity is only in respect of
the platform and addressing.
--
David Woolley