Windows Live Message and XMPP

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Fri Dec 16 10:30:34 EST 2011

On 12/16/2011 4:21 AM, Frank Lanitz wrote:
> Hi folks,
> Just saw a article about MSN now supporting XMPP.
>
> http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2011/12/14/anyone-can-build-a-windows-live-messenger-client-with-open-standards-access-via-xmpp.aspx
>
> short: http://yaturl.net/c4e
>
> Unfortunately I didn't found out by now, what I have to configure on
> Pidgin for using that. Anybody of more had more success?

Looking at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowslive/hh561460 it
appears that they're using a custom OAUTH implementation, nothing
standards based, so at least for the moment this isn't useful to pidgin
users.

However, from a development point of view it might be less painful to
implement than maintaining the existing protocols, unless there  are any
licensing or implementation problems on the OAUTH side of things.

Apparently there is an implementation that avoids having to embed the
application level secret key in the application itself, although I'm not
clear if this implementation would be suitable for pidgin or not.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh243647.aspx discusses the
implementation details.

--
Dave Warren, CEO