Facebook chat no longer stays in "group"

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 16 18:35:24 EST 2011

David Coulson wrote:
> Yes, i noticed it with a few clients in the last week. Facebook uses
> XMPP so they can group users however they want server-side.

I've encountered this as well.  I believe it's happening because of
Facebook's new "lists" feature, which allows people to group their
friends in lists.  (Though the actual change is fairly recent.)  In the
chat configuration tool, you tell Facebook Chat to only make you
available via chat to everyone, only those in a certain list, or
everyone _except_ those in a certain list.  If you choose the first or
third options, then the contacts that show up in your XMPP client (as
was said, this is not Pidgin-specific) will have the group name
"Facebook Friends" and unfortunately there's nothing you can do about that.

However, I think that if you choose the second method, the group name
may have the same name as the list you've chosen.  This requires you to
then have a list with the same name as the group you want in XMPP, and
also (and this is the problem) manually maintain the list of people you
want to chat with in a list.  So it's probably not worth it.

In short, without manual intervention each time you add a new friend,
there's nothing you can do about the group name.