Pidgin/ejabberd

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Fri Dec 16 18:38:20 EST 2011

Robert Runyon wrote:
> I am using pidgin on my home network with ejabberd as the server.  In
> conversation windows my userid appears as Robert at server /
> 1182838493838483882.  This number does not appear to the person I am
> talking to, just in my window. However, the same thing happens in
> reverse on the receiving end.  Their userid appears with the number in
> their window.
>
> Is there a way to stop this?  So that just "Robert at server" appears in my
> conversation window?

The number you're seeing, I believe, is an automatically-generated
resource ID for your XMPP client connection since you didn't specify
one.  It's there so that you can login from multiple locations
simultaneously; you can manually set it to whatever you want in the
Accounts > Modify ... dialog.  (It's usually chosen to be the name of
your client, or the location of where you're connecting from.)

If you want your name to show up as something else entirely, then as was
said, go ahead and change your alias for that account.

  San Jose, CA, USA && 37 18 N 121 57 W && AIM/Y!M/Jabber erikmaxfrancis
   A good edge is good for nothing, if it has nothing to cut.
    -- Thomas Fuller, 1608-1661