Typing Notification

Paul Archambault paul at archiefamily.com
Tue Feb 8 19:24:52 EST 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Paul Archambault <paul at archiefamily.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 2:19 AM, David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>wrote:
>
>> Paul Archambault wrote:
>>
>>> Hey there,
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if there is an issue with Pidgin's outgoing typing
>>> notifications?  I noticed recently that I wasn't getting typing
>>> notifications at work from the Pidgin client at home, after checking the
>>> "Notify buddies that you are typing to them" settings I fired up Wireshark
>>> here at home and was able to verify that the client is not sending typing
>>> notifications.  I installed a fresh copy of Pidgin and tried again but still
>>> nothing is being picked up by a packet capture.
>>>

>> Which version of Pidgin?  Which protocol(s)?
>>

> Windows version 2.7.9 on an updated Windows Vista 64bit machine.
>
> ICQ and AIM are the two I have tested with.  I am not hearing a big outcry
> so I am guessing the issue is with supporting files on the host machine,
> I'll install a copy on my laptop and try from there.

So what am I doing wrong?  Clean install of Windows 2.7.9 on a 32bit updated
XP Dell laptop, WireShark running and Pidgin is still not sending typing
notifications when I type to a AIM or ICQ contact.  I made sure that the
outgoing typing notification option is on, incoming typing notifications
work just fine.

Are there supporting files that need to be present on the local machine in
order for that feature to work?

Paul.