local blist.xml being ignored WinXP

Nick Leskiw njl2127 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 18:44:55 EST 2011

I'm trying to get fancy with blist xml.  I'm using Sametime in a corp
environment. Names have extra crap at the end I don't care about.
example:

<buddy account='My Name' proto='prpl-meanwhile'>
  <name>CN=First Last/OU=Dept/O=Company</name>
  <setting name='meanwhile.shortname' type='string'>First
Last/Dept/Company</setting>
  <setting name='meanwhile.type' type='int'>1</setting>
</buddy>

I don't care about /Dept/Company.   So I wrote a quick sed script to add an
alias line to each buddy.
After the sed script runs, it looks like this:
<buddy account='My Name' proto='prpl-meanwhile'>
  <name>CN=First Last/OU=Dept/O=Company</name>
  <alias>First Last</alias>
  <setting name='meanwhile.shortname' type='string'>First
Last/Dept/Company</setting>
  <setting name='meanwhile.type' type='int'>1</setting>
</buddy>

I shut down Pidgin completely, ensured the process had stopped, and ran the
sed script. Everything looked good, but when pidgin reopened all the alias
lines disappeared from blist.xml.  I tried adding an alias through the UI,
and it appeared to work.  I shut down pidgin, and it saved the alias made
within the UI to blist.xml.

But whenever I edit blist.xml my changes are destroyed.  I tried Accounts >
Sametime > Export... but that's in a completely different format with no
entry for the alias.

I noticed the debug logs have this:
(17:39:29) *sametime:* saving remote blist
(17:39:29) *meanwhile:* storage request saved: key = XXXXX, result = XXXXX,
length = XXXXX

Is it writing the whole XML file to the sametime server?  Is there any way
for this to work?  There's hundreds of co-workers in my buddy list - I'd do
this manually but it'd be a PITA. I wrote a *sed script* for this..I feel
dirty enough already! ; )