Facebook - Pidgin unreliable ever since recent facebook chat changes.

Dave Warren lists at hireahit.com
Mon Jul 11 19:27:37 EDT 2011

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 18:24:47 -0700, Les Fenison <les at fenison.org> was
claimed to have wrote:

>Is it even a good idea to run pidgin on multiple machines logged
>into the same facebook account at the same time?

It shouldn't be an issue.  XMPP handles this in general, and I certainly
do this with Facebook in particular.

>Version 2.9.0 is missing the data occasionally yet accurately reports
>when the person is on/off line.

When messages don't show up, are you using another client to chat, or
are messages ever missed by the client you've been using at that moment?

My experience with Facebook's XMPP is that it works reasonably well as
long as you just use one connection at a time, with the other connected
client sitting idle.  In my case, it's usually two pidgins and a
Beejiive (iPhone XMPP client)

I don't use the Facebook web interface at all, it might add some
complexity to the equation.